Fires due to electrical malfunction result in hundreds of lives lost and billions in property damage each year. The U.S. fire departments responds to an estimated annual average 48,000 home fires due to electrical failure alone. This results in deaths, burn injuries and billions in home and property damage. Keeping your home safe from electrical hazards is essential and it can easily be done with these tips.
• Always hire a licensed electrician to do electrical installations and repairs.
• Replace and repair any damaged electrical cords, electrical outlets, receptacles and switches.
• Avoid running electrical cords and extensions under carpets or across doorways.
• Use tamper-resistant receptacles especially if you have small children and pets at home.
• Do not overload your extension cords, use only one high-wattage appliance on one receptacle at a time.
• Consider having a licensed electrician install additional power outlets where you need them.
• Place lamps, humidifiers and other small electrical appliances on a levelled surface when you use them.
• Always use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage for your lamps and other light fixtures.
• Have a GFCI or ground fault circuit interrupters installed throughout your home, especially in the basement, laundry room, kitchen areas.
• Protect your home’s electrical outlets by having your electrician install AFCIs or arc-fault circuit interrupters in your home.
• Avoid using alternative or DIY heating sources, they are a major cause of fire.
For electrical services you can trust in Irondale, AL and surrounding areas, call us at 205-871-8760 or visit us at http://metrocontractorsal.com.